Dow AgroSciences Canada is seeking a Canola Seed Production Research Agronomist to work at the Saskatoon Breeding facility.
The Seed Production Agronomist is accountable for activities related to agronomic optimization of seed production, leading early stage parental seed production and Quality assurance of parental seed lines of Open-pollinated and Hybrid canola produced as well as production of test quantities of seed for evaluation and registration trials. This person will be a liaison between Breeders and Operations to identify key problems related to seed production.
- This position is accountable to the Plant Breeders to ensure that suitable quantities of high quality inbreds and hybrid seed are available to meet requirements of variety advancement. Selection of sites, establishment and maintenance of early stage tented and isolated parent/inbred seed and testing/registration trial seed production sites
- Agronomic support activities associated with seed production and seed production research.
- Participate in enhancement and implementation of quality assurance program for parent seed.
- Design and implement research experiments related to agronomic optimization of hybrid seed production. Development and communication of optimized seed production SOP’s to Operations.
- Coordination of contra season seed multiplication to support variety advancement.
- Miscellaneous duties: equipment repair and modification, operation of seed conditioning/treating equipment, training and management of rouging crews etc.
The ideal candidate must possess a B.Sc or M.Sc in Agronomy or other Agricultural related degree plus a minimum of 3 years experience in canola seed production agronomy and research. Demonstrate a working knowledge of experimental design and statistics, and communication skills. Small plot research and small cage seed production experience is an asset. Experience with canola seed production Quality Assurance Priniciples is preferred. Valid driver’s license and passport. Travel both domestically and internationally will be required.
If you would like to grow in a people oriented team environment, experience job satisfaction and take advantage of a competitive compensation program, apply on-line at www.dowagro.com by February 29, 2008. Look under Careers, Job Opportunities, and search for Canola Research Agronomist - Job # 0800241.